Chris Evensen Will Fight For You!

Truck And Auto Accident FAQ

Learn the most commonly asked questions and answers pertaining to car and trucking accidents. Call the Louisville firm of Evensen Law Office to learn more.

Q How long do I have to file a claim after being involved in a motor vehicle accident?
The Statute of Limitations for a Kentucky motor vehicle or truck accident is two (2) years from the date of accident or last payment of PIP/no-fault benefits.

Q Do I automatically have the right to file suit against the person who caused the accident?
No, there is a threshold of $1,000.00 in medical expenses incurred by you before you can file suit against the person who caused the accident.

Q If I’m involved in an accident in Kentucky, who pays for my medical treatment?
Kentucky is a No-Fault State, which means you must first look to the automobile coverage on the vehicle you were occupying when injured (usually your own auto insurance if driving your own car). No-fault, also called Personal Injury Protection or PIP, pays for the first $10,000.00 of medical expenses or lost wages.

Q Should I report all symptoms I’m experiencing to my doctor, or just the most severe symptom?
Report all symptoms fully to your doctor to make sure each is documented. Your most severe symptom in the days following your accident (i.e., a headache) may resolve, but the shoulder soreness you were experiencing may linger and progress with time. If your physician only documents the headache, the opposing party might argue, without documentation of shoulder symptoms, you have failed to prove the shoulder problem was caused by the accident.

Q Should I take pictures of my car/myself?
Yes, as soon as possible take pictures of the damage to your vehicle. Many times, if the car is totaled, you will no longer have possession of the vehicle after settling the property damage portion of the claim with the insurance company. Therefore, you may no longer have the opportunity to take pictures of the damage resulting from the accident. Also, take pictures of any injuries that are visible. While years later, your body may have recovered, and bruises and cuts/scrapes are no longer visible, it is important to memorialize the effect of the injury.

Injured In An Auto or Truck Crash? Call Today

Let my vehicle collision legal experience help you seek maximum compensation for your injuries. Contact me by phone at 502-309-3636 or send me your questions in this convenient email. Get started with the legal advice you need to strive for a better tomorrow.